Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Slightly Different Melbourne Cup











Well, there were no horses, champagne or high fashion, but this year's Melbourne Cup was certainly celebrated in style. I have resigned myself to the fact that my life is rather different now that my best friends have children, but I love spending time with them and their cherubs. So, Melbourne Cup was spent at the Irwin home with Lisa and Matisse, Jess and Olivia, Karen and Ruby, and me. Lisa (hostest with the mostest) made a beautiful lunch of sushi, rice paper rolls with chicken, mince wontons and sweet chilli and cheese bread for us, and Karen finished it off beautifully with a home-made teacake (yum). My great contribution was hand made chocolates from the local nougat shop, Urban Bites, which we couldn't fit in after all the beautiful food. Although it's a race that 'stops the nation', we actually missed the race entirely (whoops... for which Karen was blamed, but no one else actually bothered to look up what time it was on), but managed to stop for the afternoon anyway. Thank God for a nation of horse lovers.

No comments: